Wednesday 8 August 2012

Fashion Blabber: Modesty and Personal Style

There is a misconception about what modest fashion is and  how the clothing categorized as modest are.  Normally we think of old-fashioned long skirts, boring turtlenecks, ugly sleeves and everything our grandmother would wear. In fact, often women who choose to dress modestly are thought of as boring women. Well that is no longer true! Dressing in a modest way goes beyond a boring garment; Modest Fashion is a way of life that determines our personal style. 

Coco Chanel
And why not allow the way we dress to determine our lifestyle, if the best and most iconic women in fashion history and the world have made ​​clear who they are by how they dressed and the clothes they used love. Great women like Mademoiselle Coco , who had a clear idea of  how the woman of the  20th century had to be seen as an empowered individual and an active contributor to society. She rebelled against the excessive discomfort in women's wear at the time and gave women the new 'working outfit', what a way to define personal style. Or even women of today like Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser, who has managed to position herself as a global icon of style and  an example of empowered women without neglecting her religious background by wearing outfits that cover her body and hair but always maintain the quality of chic and original. 


Sheikha Mozah
Whether the decision is to dress modestly for religious reasons or not, every woman has a personality that she seeks to convey in the way she dresses. Defining our personal style is an essential part in defining our life and ourselves. For every taste and activity there are different options, and modest fashion makes that point just as clear. There are extensive styling options depending on your needs, budget or occupation. The point is to not get lost in a sea of ​​boring clothes but try to find a way to project what's on our minds and hearts in the best possible way. 

I have a checklist of questions that I answer to myself in order to decide how I will choose my wardrobe. The questions and answers (personal answers) are as follows: 

1. What kind of personality do I have? I am sociable but not the most outgoing, but I love to laugh and share happy moments. 
2. What are my interests? I love fashion, art, photography and history. 
3. What kind of environment an I in? I study Fashion marketing and communication, it is a very chic and creative environment. 
4. What do I want to project about myself to others? Two things: Fun and modesty. 

Thus I decided that for my 'smiling', maximal, creativity and color fixated personality I need to create a wardrobe of bold prints, bright colors but with several touches of neutrals to not make it too heavy. Basically I decide to take each answer and try to translate it into trends and pieces of clothing to make me feel comfortable and happy.


Jumpsuit: Foreve21
Blazer: Stradivarius
Sunglasses: Ray Ban
Hijab: Designed and sown by me

No comments:

Post a Comment