Saturday 25 August 2012

Style Blabber: Dressing age appropriate, the Do's and the Don'ts!


Happy me hitting the candy store at F.A.O Schwarz after
shopping.
(Very age appropriate lol)
About a week ago I was discussing with a sister the issue of "How to turn your wardrobe into a modest wardrobe". She was telling me about how she, being just a little over 18 years old, was struggling to make herself look youthful without having to compromise her modesty.
I remember a while ago when I was in the same situation. I decided to dress modestly and wear the hijab (or better said the scarf) but the problem was I started to buy clothes that ended up making me look like if I was 60!


You'd be surprised at how difficult it is for many girls bellow the age of 28 to look age appropriate in modest clothes. To be honest I think that is one of the biggest and most annoying pains hijabis (and modest girls in general) go through! Looking at pictures of myself from two years ago is borderline terrifying! I can't help but think: WHAT ON EARTH WAS I THINKING? 

When did looking like a 60 years old milk lady became cool? Let me tell you when: NEVER. (and it never will) I struggled at first finding the way to look my age but I think I figured out some basic things to do and not to do when it comes to fixing this, and came up with a simple list of Do's and Don'ts and here it is:

DON'Ts
  • Not every sister at the mosque needs to be your style icon: I don't mean it in a rude way, though. While an elder sister may be an incredible spiritual role model, you need to bear in mind that they are also older and lead a different life to yours. Lifestyles are different and so is the way they dress and you dress. Look up to their actions but not necessarily to what they are wearing, if you end up imitating it, you'll end up looking 20 years older and no one wants that.
  • If your mom would wear it, then forget about ever buying it: Although the mom rule doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, most people wouldn't want to be caught dead in their mothers clothing. When you are about to wear something just ask yourself whether your mother would wear that or not; if the answer happens to be yes, then PLEASE don't buy that piece!!! 
  • Stay away from cheap clothes being sold at flea markets: While I have bought many different things at flea markets in the past, if you know me and have noticed, I only buy accessories and decoration items, but clothes is a big no no. Normally, the clothes being sold here are way too dated, they are old and not the vintage kind of old but the "it's from 2006" kind of old. Buying these clothes will only make you look dated and about 10 years older. STAY AWAY FROM IT! 


DO's
  • Shop where you would normally would go to with your friends: Surprisingly, the biggest stores that we all know and love like Zara, H&M and Forever21 (and the like) all have items that we can perfectly wear. Anything like maxi-skirts, maxi-dresses, jumpsuits, wide pants, coats and the likes  are available for us nowadays.
Buy the clothe that looks good on
you, not on others! 
  • If you like it but it: Sometimes, we all really like a piece of clothing so much but we try it on and it happens to be too tight; don't be discouraged from buying it, there is always a way. the perfect alternative and solution to this issue is simple: BUY IT IN A LARGER SIZE! The amount of clothes I have that is in a different size to mine is ridiculous, sometimes I even buy it two sizes larger just so it is nice and baggy (just how I like it), and it works perfectly for me.
  • Take a friend of your age shopping with you: An honest opinion from someone who cares about you and is your same age is the best thing to have when shopping. Your friend will be uncomfortable seeing you in something her mother or your mother would wear, so she will most likely tell you what you look good in and what you don't. 
  • Look like your own self: If you have a defined personal style and had it even before you decided to turn your wardrobe into a modest wardrobe, then don't forget about that and stick to it! If for example you are the typical biker-girl, don't ditch the leather, just change the jeans for a maxi skirt, keep the boots and leather jacket, throw on a scarf and off you go!
These are the basic Do's and Don'ts I consider will be helpful to make sure you dress age appropriated. Life is long and living each stage of life is beautiful. Last thing you need is to have your best years stolen by a bad look and the pressure to look a certain way. 



xo and remember to style your modest life!

No comments:

Post a Comment